Lindo's Hot Cross Bun Recipe
With Good Friday quickly approaching, we thought it would be perfect to share a great Hot Cross Bun recipe from Lindo's Group of Companies!
Try making your own this year using this recipe. They taste amazing!
3 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
3 tbsp. butter, melted
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup milk, scalded
1 pkg. yeast, softened in 1/4 cup warm milk
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Allspice
3/4 cup raisins
1. Pour scalded milk into a bowl.
2. Add sugar, salt and melted butter. Cool to luke warm; stir in softened yeast and the well-beaten egg.
3. In a large bowl sift flour, cinnamon, and allspice. Add raisins and liquid. Mix well and then cover and let dough mixture rise in a warm place until double in bulk.
4. Punch down and knead on a floured surface for a short time. Shape into small buns.
5. Place buns on a well-greased baking pan and allow to rise again. Brush tops of buns with slightly beaten egg white.
6. Bake at 375°F for 20 minutes.
FOR THE CROSS
For the cross topping, mix the plain flour to a smooth paste with 2 tablespoons of cold water.
When the buns have risen, remove the polythene bag and the grease proof paper. Spoon the flour mixture into a piping bag and pipe a cross on each bun.
PIPE ON AN ICING CROSS
Mix 1 egg white with enough powdered sugar for icing to be very thick. Splash in milk as needed for consistency.
Add icing to a small Ziploc bag and snip the corner. When buns have completely cooled, with a sharp knife cut a cross into top of bun and pipe over with icing sugar.
Stir sugar with milk until dissolved; brush over buns. Let cool in pan.
Yield: 12- 18 buns