Lizzy's Famous Fishcakes
When I heard that Chiko’s Smokey Rub was having a recipe contest I just knew I had to enter. I thought long and hard about what I could make using his popular spice blend. Then it hit me……. fishcakes
Now my fishcakes have been deemed famous by all of my friends and family. Its a secret recipe that I crafted myself through out the years. For this competition I thought I would try something different to spice up the mix. I added ground chourico to the fishcake mixture, and let me say what a hit it was!
Here is my recipe for Lizzy’s Famous Fishcakes (With a Chiko’s Twist)
Chiko’s Smokey Rub
1. Soak codfish overnight
2. Peel potatoes and cut into uniform cubes. Boil codfish and potatoes until potatoes are tender; drain and set aside in bowl
3. In a skillet, sautee garlic and half of a chopped onion. Mix in ground chourcio, tumeric, garlic salt, chico’s smokey rub and thyme and cook until onions are translucent
4. Mix onion mixture, egg and flour into potatoes and codfish. Add other half of chopped onion raw into mix as well. Mash potatoes into a chunky consistency. The key is to ensure the mixture is lumpy as this will give your fishcake great texture when complete. Set aside in fridge for about 15 minutes.
5. In a seperate bowl add flour, black pepper, seasoning salt and chiko’s smokey rub for dredging. Mix together and set aside
6. Once codfish mixture is cool and firm, remove from fridge and form into patties. Dredge in flour and pan fry in vegetable oil until golden brown.
7. Rest cooked patties on paper towel to drain excess oil. Serve on your choice of bun.
- Tags: Bermunchies, Fishcakes, Good Fridee, Greeze, Wellness